Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Lessons of Slumdog and Millionaire together

Hi friends, after relatively long time, back to the business of blogging. Hope you all had a nice weekend as we already entered into the romantic month of the new year. I am saying romantic because, I saw malls and shops filled up with valentine's day gifts n cards. Best of luck to those who are getting a new relationship this year and my wishes to all those who already are in one...

About this topic, I happened to see the movie Slumdog millionaire and the Aussie open this weekend. May be I am wrong in comparing Rog Federer to a millionaire. He may be worth more than that. But the very sight of his crying for the 14th Grand slam made me think that, money seldom matters and it is the what we have achieved that matters. The same was the story in this movie slumdog millionaire and so, I decided to touch these two in this blog. 

Last weekend, i was relatively free after last minute cancellation of weekend plans and I was lucky to be invited with one of my roomie's friend to roam about and for a movie. So, me and my roomie got ready and asked him to book the tickets for this "Oscar nominee" movie. When I came to know that, he has booked the ticket for 200rs (ofcourse, it was Saturday night and the show was in PVR, Forum mall, Bangalore - you cant expect to be this cheap..)I was a bit upset on the ticket rate. When I was in pune, we chose carefully to watch the best of the movies in Adlabs - morning show. We went to the mall, had dinner and entered the cine hall. I was particular in insisting that, I dont want to miss even the title coz, I want to make full worth of the money (that too at this recession time boss!!!!)

The movie started. Again, I know there are tens of thousands of Internet sites/blogs which gives the review of the movie. So, I chose to cut it short. The 3 child characters were too good and the editing - the way they told the movie, the twists (10 million dollar question), the pace in which the story went and finally, the music were very good points for which I told my friend - its worth watching it. But when I came out of the movie and after those long discussions on scene by scene, I started thinking what the Director intend to tell to the audience through this movie ? Does he depicts the real India ? Again, whats the reason for that ? and if this movie attracts huge crowd, what does the people like in it ? and what are we supposed to do after seeing the movie ? I bet, this is not a kind of just watch n forget when you step out of the hall.

Well, it is depicting the real situation for sure. How many children each one of us has seen in the roads begging for alms whenever we stop for a signal ? Is it once in a week ? No dude, definitely more than that. may be on average once in 3 days at least in metros. K, leave the numbers, we do see it. What were we doing till now ? give them some coins or shout at them and ask them to leave. I personally have made a commitment that, at least from now, whenever I see a child like this, I will make sure to see to it, they are safe first and then, they have something to eat, at least for a day. The least which we can do. Right? If we have time, we should do more. May be small things like collecting the orphanages (registered ones) near by your area, informing police if something wrong is happenning. Come on, we cant live this entire life only for us. Thats a bit too harsh punishment we give to our life.

Apart from this, one more point which stuck me was - money and happiness. It is very much true that whoever running after money will not have time to enjoy that when he has it. You can take the example of the hero of this film - "Jamaal" or his brother "Salim". It is some inner satisfaction that is hard to achieve. I realised this once again on the courts when I saw Federer crying. Man, would you believe the man who has earned such money and fame is not happy when he was not able to meet his goal. Where did all those money go at that second ? Do you think that Federer will not achieve it at all ? Noooo....A man with such a passion for his goal is always going to achieve it. And it is about this goal which the world is going to remember Federer for even after he retires and not the money he earned.

I think after these two things which I saw in this weekend, something did change in me. I dint get a situation to realize the change exactly. Wonder how the world would be if we try to go after the goals and relationships than the money. Finally as a true, responsible citizen of India, I pray God that, this picture and the Finals should create changes in mind and another thing to get the OSCAR in Indian film industry after long long time. Indian films does have created better films and now, if the recognition comes through Slumdog movie, why not. 

Ok, All the best to you and see you in next blog. Jai Hind.

2 comments:

  1. Though I am still waiting for my turn of watching Slumdog Millionaire, But its an impressive thought to relate two incidents with an objective.

    I like the quote:
    "money seldom matters and it is the what we have achieved that matters."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,i hope u know,slumdog is not an indian movie.Film is success because,its a western view of india.
    In my view,this story would not have been a success,if it was taken by a indian.

    ReplyDelete